Kingsbarns Distillery Unveils its Inaugural Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Release date: 10 September 2018
Kingsbarns Distillery has unveiled its very first single malt Scotch whisky release; The Founders’ Reserve Inaugural Release. Bottled solely for the pleasure of the Kingsbarns Founders’ Club, this is the first ever single malt to be released by the fledgling, family owned, Lowland Distillery. It is the first in a series of five, exclusive, annual bottlings and will be delivered directly to Founders in December 2018.
Kingsbarns Distillery was initially founded by a Fife-born golf caddie and with the support and expertise of the Wemyss family, who have a long standing passion as Scotch whisky makers; the distillery was opened in November 2014. The single malt Scotch whisky is produced from barley grown on only a handful of local Fife farms to ensure that it is truly a spirit of the Kingdom of Fife. It is slowly fermented using two yeast strains and meticulously distilled to produce a remarkably clean, complex and light spirit.
The Founders’ Reserve Inaugural Release comprises several casks filled in 2015 using the wood policy set under the expert consultancy of the late Dr Jim Swan. Each cask was carefully selected by Distillery Manager Peter Holroyd and the Wemyss family. 1st fill bourbon barrels, supplied by Heaven Hill Kentucky distillery, were chosen as they imparted succulent wood tannins that balance well with the complex Kingsbarns spirit to represent this new single malt Scotch whisky in its lightest style.
All future Founders’ Reserve releases will be drawn from a combination of different cask types and ages, as well as always being bottled at cask strength, non chill-filtered and in their natural colour. Each release is bottled in a bespoke, 700ml Kingsbarns single malt bottle and presentation box, both of which draw their inspiration from the ‘Doocot’ (or Dovecot) which is the oldest, most striking feature of the restored farm steading in which Kingsbarns Distillery and Visitor Centre is accommodated.
William Wemyss; family owner of Kingsbarns Distillery addressed members today:
“Over the past few years the development of Kingsbarns Distillery and its long awaited single malt has been an enthralling experience and the next chapter in the history of Kingsbarns Distillery is almost complete. I am sure the Founders’ Reserve will meet all expectations and I look forward to sharing this Inaugural Release with fellow Founders’ Club members later this year.”
The first Founders’ Reserve release will be delivered to club members in December of 2018 and for whisky fans interested in obtaining the inaugural bottling and the rest of the five exclusive releases, membership to the Kingsbarns Founders’ club is still available to join at www.Kingsbarnsdistillery.com for £500 plus postage.
Non-members can look to early 2019 for more releases of Lowland single malt Scotch whisky from Kingsbarns Distillery.
For all media enquiries, image and interview requests, please contact:
Steven Shand email@example.com 0131 240 5717
Twitter: @KingsbarnsDist Facebook: Kingsbarns Distillery & Visitor Centr
Notes to Editors:
• Kingsbarns Distillery was officially opened on St Andrews Day 2014, 30th November. Since opening, the Visitor Centre has been awarded a 5 star visitor attraction award by Visit Scotland.
• Distillery Manager, Peter Holroyd, is a graduate of Heriot Watt University Brewing and Distilling, and was formerly head brewer at craft brewer
• The Wemyss family owners are from Scotland and their historic family seat is Wemyss Castle in Fife where they’ve lived since the 1300s.
• The family already own Wemyss Malts which is an independent bottler with a whisky range including the blended malt whisky range comprising: The Spice King, The Peat Chimney and The Hive; single malt single cask bottlings and the blended Scotch named Lord Elcho after one of the Wemyss family’s ancestors; all of which are avilable for tasting and sale at The Kingsbarns Distillery.
• Darnley’s Gin Distillery is also located at Kingsbarns Disillery and daily gin tours are available.
• The Wemyss family also own the premium wine estate of Rimauresq Cru Classé in Cótes de Provence.